Friday, October 23, 2009

Sleepy brains

Do you ever have one of those days where you're sitting around and start to think, when was the last time I took a bath? Or maybe you're strolling around the Walmart and look down suddenly to make sure you remembered to put on pants. This is especially important to do if you don't wear underwear.

That's where my mind is lately. This business of retirement is turning my mind to mush. Get up. Watch the Outdoor Channel. Fix the baby girl a waffle. Change the diapers. Walk outside and look for geese flying by and try to call them into the backyard. (This is something the neighbors really don't appreciate.) It's hell on a country boy to be trapped in the suburbs.

I need my woods. I need my pastures. I need to get out and fling arrows at unsuspecting wildlife.

Next year Baby Girl can go with me, at least on the family farm, so I got that to look forward to. And I'm bringing her along nicely. She knows to sit still when the geese fly by. And when the huge bucks that you see on the tv stand out in the wide open, (they seem to only do that on tv) she is right there, going, BANG, BANG, just like Daddy taught her.

But tomorrow, well tomorrow I'm in the woods. And the Boy is going along. I got him a cheap machete because we have to build a couple of new blinds, so he just can't wait to get out there and whack things. Not squirrels though, we leave those to Robert.

So maybe tomorrow I stick an arrow in one of God's beautiful creatures and give thanks for the protein He's given us. Maybe Sunday or one day next week. Or maybe not. Just being in the woods is enough.

Until muzzleloader season at least, that's when the serious hunting begins for me. I've got a freezer to fill you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home